Sometimes when translating information from one source to the next, the meaning gets lost, emotion loses value, passion becomes apathy.
Resolver
Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Music on long drives is a huge deal for me. Totally invaluable. When I put on a good album, I just sort of slip out of my consciousness a little bit and float on for an hour at a time. I have a problem listening to mix cds. I listen to complete albums at a time. I don't know many people that do it this way, but it's the only way I can. When I hear a song on the radio or at a restaurant, when it gets to the end of a song, I'm automatically thinking of the beginning of the next track on the album (assuming they play songs on the radio or in restaurants that I listen to).

When I'm on an extended drive, I sometimes like to play an artist's entire collection from beginning to end. When I used to drive to Nashville I'd put on all five Weezer albums from Blue to Make Believe. It actually took up the majority of the trip. I think after Make Believe was over, I'd put on Radiohead's OK Computer and I'd be in Nashville before the album was completed.

Well, on the drive back from Kingston, TN, I decided to play my Veruca Salt collection. I don't have American Thighs anymore (not that I care much for it anyway), so I just played Eight Arms to Hold You through VSIV.

They're all really good albums. I really want to compare EATHY and Resolver to the first two Weezer albums, Blue and Pinkerton.

Eight Arms to Hold You and The Blue Album both contain really solid songs, none of which I really think of skipping through. But none of the songs on either of these two albums seem totally vulnerable and raw. Sure, "Shutterbug" and "Say It Ain't So" are both pretty emotional songs in their own right, but they just don't seem open enough. It's more about the music than the lyrics, I guess. Or I'm probably just talking out of my ass.

Now, Resolver and Pinkerton ... these two albums are total gems. Both are absolutely honest and wide-open for anyone to see into Louise and Rivers' soul. They are screaming at the top of their lugs, "I'm lonely. I'm totally fucked up. You fucked me up. I'm hurting. Fuck you all and goodnight."

This got me thinking about how I want to tell Louise Post how much Resolver means to me. I know she's really active on the verucasalt.com forums (or was about a year and a half ago when I'd frequent it) so I'm really thinking of writing her a note letting her know. I don't think she gets nearly enough credit for that album.

As I was driving home while Resolver was on, I listened to every minute detail, thinking to myself, "Yep, I need to mention that part. God those flutes at the end of that song are amazing. Every second of 'All Dressed Up' makes me want to cry. It's so, so, so good."

So anyway, that's what I wanted to blog about. Resolver. Hardly anyone knows about it. I met a girl in college who was a huge Veruca Salt fan, who had no idea they released anything after Eight Arms to Hold You.

I could write an entire blog picking apart every song from that album, but I'll spare you. None of you have heard it (besides Lindsay and maybe Rachel) so it'd be a complete waste of your time. Pretty much as big a waste as this post was.

So I'm sorry. But that album makes me want to shout to the rooftops. It blows my mind that people are indifferent about music.

It's the cheapest and absolute best therapy available.

Posted by K. Hanley